Site by Alsjeblaft!
Kirsten Dobber Thomsen–
See Dutch page
- Our history CRUX has a young and dynamic history. Within fifteen years of our founding, we have grown to become the leading independent geotechnical consultancy agency in the Netherlands. 2002 Almer van der Stoel and Holger Netzel both devoted their doctoral research to topics related to the North/South line in Amsterdam. Based on this basis, they founded CRUX Engineering BV in 2002, to be able to realize their shared ideas about the geotechnical profession in daily practice. The company had a brilliant and versatile start; the first projects concerned, for example, geotechnical advice for the construction of the New Rijksmuseum, a piled embankment structure for a train track in the Far East and various works for Waternet, the water company for Amsterdam and its environs. In the first years, Almer and Holger continued to work on realizing their mission: to provide high-quality and technically sound geotechnical and geo-structural design and implementation solutions across the breadth of the field, whereby risk management of settlement impact is always the starting point. 2005 Jacco Haasnoot became involved as the third partner. 2008 The company grew, and adding Delft as a second location was a logical step. In 2008, CRUX Engineering opened its doors here, and Jacco Haasnoot began leading this location. It marked a new phase in the development of the company. CRUX would later be approached by the project organization of the North/South line for the role of ‘trouble-shooter’ and auditor. Risk management and ground improvement through ground freezing form an important part of the dossier. By this time, the company is an experienced party in the design of construction pits and piled embankment structures. In collaboration with Waternet, a Building Protocol was set up for the risk management of its work in the city centre of Amsterdam. The CRUX approach to settlement risk assessment therefore also has a policy character and has formed the basis for the expansion of our company in the following years. 2010 During the Dutch crisis years, we expressly became a partner for contractors on civil engineering projects with regard to the design and management of geotechnical risks. The branch on Asterweg in Amsterdam Noord welcomed new colleagues and found itself bursting at the seams. In 2010, we moved to our current office in Amsterdam IJburg. It is a new, sustainable and comfortable building, with many neighbours from the construction industry, and it is a nice place to work. The set-up and ICT facilities suit a modern consultancy firm. In 2010, we opened our branch in the south of the country, in Eindhoven. Bas Snijders is the branch manager here. 2013 In January 2013, Bas Snijders and Auke Balder became partners. Because CRUX calculates and consults about everything having to do with, on and in the ground, setting up an environmental department in 2013 was a logical step. This department is involved in consulting and managing working with contaminated ground, an almost daily phenomenon for construction work in urban areas. Today, they are an integral part of our business operations, with Arnold Bleumink as the first point of contact. The earthquake problem in the north of the Netherlands has been one of the spearheads of our company since 2013. 2015 In January 2015, Johan Zwaan joined as a partner, and our colleagues in Delft relocated to the Delftechpark, a commercial park for innovative, knowledge-intensive companies. 2016 In July 2016, Guido Meinhardt became involved as the seventh partner. Maarten van Baars became branch manager in Delft. 2017 As of 1 July 2017, CRUX Holding BV, the parent company of CRUX Engineering, acquired a majority interest in BouwRisk, with the aim of achieving further growth in size and quality and of combining the expertise of the two subsidiaries. This should lead to an even more integrated approach, in particular with respect to settlement risk assessment of construction pits and (line) infrastructure, among other things. In November 2017, the Delft location relocated to a new and larger office at Mijnbouwstraat 112 in Delft. With the arrival of the highly experienced Gerhard Winters, CRUX has also had in-house hydrogeology since the end of 2017 to advise on pumping operations (including barrier function and permit applications), urban groundwater, water-related installations and contamination. We are very proud of the past years, during which we have laid a solid foundation under our company. As an independent geotechnical consultancy firm, CRUX is currently involved in virtually all the (more complex) geotechnical projects and issues in the Netherlands, as a designer or as an expert. As a specialist, foreign firms now turn to us as well. We have been nominated with both our company and with high-profile projects for various coveted prizes, such as the Schreuders prize, the Beton prize, the Keverling Buisman prize and the Entrepreneur Awards of the city of Amsterdam and the Provence of Noord Holland. The CRUX team currently has more than forty consultants and specialists, reaching a size that perfectly suits a specialized and decisive consultancy agency with sufficient critical mass. After the addition of Bas Snijders, Auke Balder, Johan Zwaan and Guido Meinhardt, our management team now consists of seven partners, each with their own knowledge, skills and competencies. Together with the many talented and committed colleagues, the partners form a solid basis for now and the future. CRUX continues to focus on the future and follows intriguing technical and social developments within its field. The substrate plays an increasingly important role in more sustainable building. Earthquake-resistant building and strengthening foundations and flood protection have our attention, as well as geo-risk management. There are plenty of challenges in the coming years. We at CRUX are just as enthusiastic and engaged as when we started in 2002 with just our knowledge and three computers. CRUX is the honest construction partner where knowledge, transparency in the relationship, safety and sustainability are central. Together, we get to the heart of the matter!
- Partnership Interested in a possible collaboration with us? Contact us to discuss a project and/or make an appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Quality & safety We strive in daily practice for safe and economical structures, work methods and handling of contaminated ground, and, where necessary, we take responsibility in identifying unsafe situations. CRUX carries the following certificates: ISO 9001 – KIWA certificate for our management system. BRL SIKB 6001 – Environmental supervision of terrestrial soil remediation with conventional methods and maintenance. CRUX works in the field of structural assessments and monitoring, ground and pavement studies, batch inspections and in and out surveys, with regular, knowledgeable and certified partners.
- Research and development Innovation Research and development are important spearheads at CRUX. In various collaborations with contractors and market parties we are continuously working on innovation. Research is being conducted in the area of innovative ground improvement techniques, the development of new pile systems and the use of alternative (geotechnical) building materials. Promotion & international Five of our colleagues have performed PhD research , a.o., at Delft University of Technology, for instance on Building Response due to Ground Movements and Grouting for Pile Foundation Improvement. CRUX consultants also actively participate in national and international research committees, for instance in the area of underground construction, ground improvement techniques and risk management. CRUX is also closely involved in committees of SBRCURNet, COB, PLAXIS, Geo-Impuls and the ISSMGE. Knowledge At CRUX, ample attention is paid to maintaining the level of knowledge within the company, for example by participating in courses, symposiums, internal knowledge transfer sessions (KOS) and an intranet. The dissemination of the acquired knowledge is done by regularly writing for (professional) publications and giving lectures and (guest) lectures. Design tools and CRUXRisk CRUX is alert to and engaged in developments in the field of geotechnical design tools. Of course, CRUX has state-of-the-art geotechnical calculation software, such as D-series from Deltares Systems, PLAXIS 2D and 3D and Geostudio software. In addition, the consultants and programmers from CRUX develop automated calculation software in-house, such as CRUXRisk (for complex settlement risk analyses) and probabilistic calculation models in combination with Plaxis for the safety of dikes
- Mission, vision and core values Mission We want to make a positive contribution to society from our field of expertise. We do this by producing high-quality and technically sound geotechnical, geohydrological, environmental and geo-structural design and execution solutions. This applies in particular for construction in infrastructure, water construction, non-residential construction and the energy sector. Risk management and care for the environment, both inside and outside urban areas, is always a critical factor for us. Where possible, we want to contribute to the further development of our field, and we share knowledge and skills both nationally and internationally. Vision In our vision, quality is the starting point for our operations and services. We want to be an honest construction partner where knowledge, transparency, safety and sustainability are central. In collaboration with our customers and other stakeholders, we want to realize projects at a market-conforming price with an environmental impact that is acceptable to all concerned. Training, development and job satisfaction of our employees form the basis of the continuity of our company. Core values We possess a unique combination of geotechnical, geohydrological, environmental and geo-structural knowledge. We combine creativity with expertise, decisiveness and speed. Our slogan and our logo refer to our company name; we get to ‘the heart of the matter’.
- CRUX – Social involvement CRUX wants to make a positive contribution to society from its field. This has to do with the quality and sustainability of the built environment with respect for human and natural norms and values. We believe sustainability is important, in our consultancy work and our operations. CRUX contributes to making small to (very) large projects technically, financially and socially feasible. In addition, we always strive for an acceptable environmental impact to all concerned. Social responsibility themes By participating in projects, research and innovation, CRUX offers added value to social issues such as earthquake problems, flood protection and energy storage as well as the preservation of cultural heritage (such as the Unesco canal belt of Amsterdam, the Mesdag’s panorama, The New Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk and Van Gogh Museum, the Mauritshuis, De Waag Amsterdam and Our Lord in the Attic Museum). Donations CRUX also feels connected to a number of projects and initiatives with a social character outside our field. CRUX annually supports a number of initiatives with which we feel connected. Sometimes there is overlap with the scope of our work, but mostly because we just find it important to contribute to these initiatives. CRUX donates, among other things, to research into medicines and treatments for diseases, such as children with Duchenne, fighting cancer through RoPaRun and Alp d’Huzes and combatting ALS via Amsterdam City Swim. Sharing knowledge and skills CRUX wants to contribute socially to the further development of our field, which is why we share knowledge and skills both nationally and internationally. We do this by participating in committees, writing publications, papers, (guest) lecturing at educational institutions and giving presentations and workshops. We offer graduate facilities and practical internships for students from colleges and universities. Sustainability CRUX strives for structural management and restriction of our settlement risk and uses the CO2 performance ladder to map and reduce our CO2 emission. Within our environmental policy, we strive, for example, to limit the energy consumption in our offices, to use sustainable energy and to limit paper use.
- About CRUX Advice & solutions CRUX is an independent geotechnical consulting agency and provides high-quality advice in the field of geotechnical engineering, geohydrology, ground and settlement risk assessment. By bundling these consultancy services with our expertise in monitoring, ground research and ground improvement techniques, we are truly capable of offering complete and, where necessary, innovative geotechnical design solutions. CRUX is also leading in the field of performing analyses of settlement risk. For example, a quantitative risk analysis of expected displacements, vibrations and groundwater level changes at the site of the adjacent structures can be done prior to the work. But we can also investigate the causality of (construction) damage that has already occurred. Designer & expert domestically and abroad Due to our strong drive for knowledge and innovation, our company has grown rapidly since its founding in 2002 and is currently involved in almost all the (more complex) geotechnical projects and issues in the Netherlands, as a designer or as an expert. Foreign clients also increasingly use CRUX for support. CRUX is also engaged as an independent specialist to provide second opinions or to assist in liability issues for insurers, arbitration and lawsuits (DIX). Critical specialist With over forty consultants and specialists, our team has now reached a size that perfectly suits a specialized and decisive consultancy agency with sufficient critical mass. Our management team consists of seven partners, each with their own knowledge, skills and competencies. The partners form a solid foundation for today and the future, in collaboration with the many talented and committed colleagues. By linking creativity with expertise, we get to the heart of the matter decisively and quickly!
- Earthquakes With the recognition of the earthquake problem in the north of Groningen and the subsequent technical question concerning structural reinforcement, CRUX Engineering BV has in recent years developed into one of the experts in the field of induced earthquakes and the geotechnical risks involved.
- 3D Modelling In the design of construction projects, increasingly use is being made of three-dimensional (3D) modelling. The increase in the available computing capacity and speed of computers and the improvements in the available software (such as Plaxis and GeoSlope) mean that the difference in costs, computing time and possibilities compared to standard 2D calculations are becoming smaller and smaller.
- CRUX RisK SCAN Every construction project impacts the surroundings. When construction is done in an urban setting, attention to and research into the environment impact is important. Will the construction of a basement cause damage to the adjacent property? Will the discharge pipe continue to function if the adjacency is elevated? Are the vibrations due to driving piles or vibrating sheet piles excessively high for a parcel or (production) process? How much and for how long can the groundwater level be lowered without subsidence of nearby buildings?
- Pile embankment structures A pile embankment system, granulate embankment on piles , granulate embankment on slender piles (GSP) or Load Transfer Platform (LTP), consists of a field of (usually slender) piles, with an embankment on it. This usually consists of a granulate fill that is reinforced with a geosynthetic material. On top of that, the embankment can be further elevated with sand or a granulate. Finally, the pile embankment is finished with a foundation layer and a paving or railway track, and in some cases even a soil embankment founded on steel.
- State-of-the-Art Dikes CRUX Engineering was one of the first consultancy firms in the Netherlands to apply ‘state-of-the-art’ geotechnical expertise to the research and design of dikes. In addition, CRUX offers comprehensive support for the design process, the execution of the environmental studies and the inventory of the risk of damage and for limiting this as well as possible.
- Our PLAXIS Expert Assistance CRUX offers assistance to engineering companies worldwide in the modelling of geotechnical problems using FEM calculations by means of PLAXIS. Because CRUX is highly experienced in a wide range of geotechnical design issues and also has been involved in the use and development of PLAXIS since the early days of this FEM program, we are the ideal partner to help you with specific modelling issues. This way you can reach the optimal model for your calculations, as well as help your employees significantly develop their PLAXIS modelling skills.
- GIS (Geographical Information System) Our projects are related to the geographical location: both the ground and the surroundings are different for each project. In order to incorporate these insights in our advice, we use GIS (Geographic Information System). Here we link information to the project location and surroundings at an early stage, so that efficient insights can be gained into opportunities and risks, since it is true that ‘a picture says more than a thousand words’.